Cancer is a group of diseases characterised by the uncontrolled growth and spread of abnormal cells. Risk factors and underlying biochemical imbalances contributing to cancer pathogenesis and development can be complex and varied.
Safe, practical and evidence-informed nutritional support for cancer patients can enhance the effectiveness of medical treatments, improve quality of life and help reduce treatment side effects. It has been proven that nutritional deficiencies or overloads can impact outcomes and in most cancers also affect the risk of progression and recurrence.
Improving general well-being and supporting a cancer patient throughout and after treatment is a top priority for complementary practitioners. Managing the tumour with the tools conventional medicine has to offer is crucial. But the challenge that many patients face is that it can lead to severe side effects like fatigue, digestive and neurological issues or pain. Nutritional therapy can be used to mitigate those side effects. And pre-clinical studies show that the ketogenic diet can be of benefit, too.
As a practitioner, you’re certainly keen to apply the most evidence-informed, up-to-date nutritional approaches with your patients and to add as many arrows to your quiver as possible. If you’re not yet trained in the ketogenic diet - especially for cancer patients- I highly recommend you dive into the fascinating science of this metabolic approach and learn the nuts and bolts of this lifestyle.
Committing to the ketogenic diet can be challenging. Most cancer patients, while undergoing or recovering from treatment, are tired and overwhelmed with their cancer experience. They know that they want to support yourself, fight any recurrence of cancer and regain some control.
As the evidence mounts, the Ketogenic Diet is on their list of therapies to consider and they are more than ready and motivated to give it a try. However, many of them are unsure where to begin, how to best prepare or how to ensure their success. It’s not an easy task to tackle for people who aren’t equipped with science and nutrition knowledge.
My Cancer Journey
I was 28 when I was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer, an ocular melanoma.
Conventional treatments helped to stop the growth of my tumour but didn’t have the long-term impacts for which we were hoping. The side effects from the treatments were severe and I felt like my body was out of sync.
After a relapse and lots of struggles with vision loss and other side effects, I was confronted with a difficult choice: taking my eye out or trying regular injections into the eye.
Since my diagnosis, I had been researching and studying nutrition for cancer and was frustrated by the conflicting information available to me. Still, I persisted because I knew deep down that nutrition was the most important step on my road to better health.
All the time, much of the information on cancer and nutrition focused on the benefits of raw foods, vegetarianism and veganism, plant-based diets and gluten-free whole grains like buckwheat and quinoa. I tried everything!
But I soon realized that my “clean” eating approach with lots of fruit and vegetables, whole grains and very little fat or protein hadn’t made any real difference for me.
In 2012, I came across the ketogenic diet and the notion of “cancer as a metabolic disease.” I was immediately fascinated by the research and the fact that ketogenics was used for diagnostic purposes (e.g. PET scans), but not for cancer management. I became very curious.
I spent a long time reading the latest studies, networking with experts in the field and also experimenting with recipes. I was intimidated and even a little afraid of starting the ketogenic diet.
Then, news of my eye getting worse pushed me to the limits and I just HAD to do something proactive and give the ketogenic diet a go- there was nothing to lose!
You see, in my case - and in many others - making small changes and eating clean just isn’t enough to make a difference.
Something radical needed to happen
- a metabolic shift in my body.
I had to teach my body to burn fat instead of glucose. I also had to change my way to exercise, become gentler with myself and learn to ask for help.
By making these significant changes to my diet and lifestyle, I slowly regained control of my life and felt more confident in myself. Now, I want to share this potentially life changing approach with other practitioners and enable YOU to do the same as I do with your patients. Trust me, it’s most rewarding to work with people affected by cancer as you will hardly come across a more motivated patient group!
In the Keto For Cancer Masterclass, I provide you with the research you need to understand metabolism in general and that of cancer cells in particular. I give you the support you’ll need to implement dietary changes with your patients, as well as all my experience and practical tips I’ve gathered over the past six years of my career helping others.
The Keto For Cancer Masterclass will help you focus on the essentials so that you’re not distracted and can start helping others as soon as possible. The Masterclass is available to any practitioner and nutrition geek, anywhere! It’s a self-paced online course, which means that you can live anywhere in the world and access the material any time as long as you have your computer and an internet connection.
Allow me to take you by the hand and guide you through every step of the ketogenic diet - from preparation to implementation and making it sustainable.
[Patricia] has a vast amount of knowledge in regards to the ketogenic diet and the science behind it. I can say this is an excellent course that she has put together. I am very grateful for the information she provides on her websites and for this powerful ecourse she has painstakingly put togetherTracy, UK
I did not find any programs relating the keto diet to cancer so for me it is unique and does not require me to go abroad to learnCathy, Canada
This masterclass is for you if:
- You're a health practitioner or doctor who wants to learn the nuts and bolts of a ketogenic diet from an experienced keto therapist.
- You’re not a practitioner but very well read and informed (a nutrition geek, so to speak!) when it comes to science and nutrition so that you feel confident enough taking this course.
- You specialise in nutrition for cancer patients but you haven’t got a grip on the ketogenic diet yet.
- You need a blueprint and clear instructions you can follow with your clients.
- You don’t have the time and money to attend training courses and conferences but you still want to be able to apply the ketogenic diet in your practice.
- You’re keen to learn from an experienced keto practitioner who values the practical application as much as the underlying science.
- You want to learn from someone who has seen both sides- the practitioner side but also the perspective of a cancer patient.
- You’d like to connect with other keto practitioners around the world.
This masterclass is NOT for you if:
- You're a total beginner in nutrition. The "Keto for Beginners" course is more suitable for you.
- You’re planning to use the ketogenic diet as an alternative to conventional cancer therapies with your patients. I only advocate using the ketogenic diet as a COMPLEMENT to the standard of care.
- You feel the ketogenic diet is just another “fad diet” that you don’t need to know anything about.
- You’re already an expert in the ketogenic diet and know the nuts and bolts.
- You believe the ketogenic diet is a cure for cancer and you’re keen to “sell” your consultations as such.
- You don’t like learning online.
An interactive class that teaches you the essentials of the ketogenic diet for cancer management. You have the option of digging deeper into the science with the resources I provide.
Prepare and Organise
Everybody's busy, right? And that’s why it’s important to follow my proven recipe for getting organised before getting started. This will not only save time and money, but also lots of energy.
The First Steps
After teaching your patients some essential knowledge and guiding them through the essential prep work, it’s time to fine tune and test - step by step!
Keto for You
The proven formula for transitioning your patient into nutritional ketosis- without hiccups.
Learn my secret recipe for making the ketogenic lifestyle enjoyable in the long term.
Take advantage of my unique knowledge in what lifestyle changes to focus on to make the ketogenic diet even more effective.
The Keto For Cancer Course includes everything you’ll need to begin and move successfully to a ketogenic diet and lifestyle - NO other books or resources are needed. Sign up now to start learning about and using the ketogenic diet straight away- at your own pace!
Module 1: Discover
It's very important to discuss the importance of diet with your cancer patients with some scientific facts and knowledge. We also go into the basics of the ketogenic diet with the goal of understanding the mechanisms behind the diet and being able to simplify the message for your patients.
In this module you will learn:
- Why nutrition DOES matter for cancer patients.
- The basic concepts and mechanisms of the ketogenic diet.
- What blood tests to do at the beginning and for ongoing monitoring.
- How to avoid the biggest mistakes many people make when implementing the ketogenic diet.
- Basic food knowledge and a first idea of what foods to focus on for the ketogenic diet.
By end of week 1 you should be able to:
- Why it’s important to make dietary changes after a cancer diagnosis.
- Explain what metabolic changes happen in a cancer cell.
- Talk about the results of blood tests.
- Know how to conduct further research.
- Avoid the major pitfalls of the ketogenic diet.
- Distinguish between more or less ketogenic foods.
Module 2: Prepare and Organise
This module gives you tips on how to prepare your patients and get them organised to avoid overwhelm before beginning the ketogenic diet.
In this module you will learn:
- Essential knowledge on the macronutrients fat, protein and carbohydrates.
- How to read labels from a keto perspective.
- How to do a pantry swipe for the ketogenic diet.
- What to stock up on when shopping and how to store food.
- What supplements best support the diet.
By end of week 2 you should be able to:
- Know how to talk to your patients about fats, protein and carbohydrates.
- Learn what to avoid buying in shops based on the labels.
- Know what foods to stock up on and what to get rid of.
- Understand which supplements you need to consider for your patients.
Module 3: The First Steps
After lots of learning and preparing, it's time to guide your patient through the first steps in the implementation of the ketogenic diet.
In this module you will learn:
- Which equipment can be beneficial on the ketogenic diet- what is essential, what is optional?
- How to track glucose and ketone levels with different tools.
- What the optimal “metabolic range” is and how to avoid stress around this topic.
- How to calculate individualised macronutrient ratios.
- How and what foods to start replacing.
- How to make simple keto meals and snacks.
By end of week 3 you should be able to:
- Decide what equipment will be particularly useful for your patients on the ketogenic diet.
- Have a clear idea on how to start the ketogenic diet.
- Personalise the macronutrient ratios for your patient's unique needs and circumstances.
- Track blood glucose and ketone levels, depending on what stage your patient is at.
- Make meals that have your patient's personalised ketogenic ratio.
- Become more creative with leftovers and “extras” to make meals ketogenic.
Module 4: Individualising Keto Protocols
The fourth module shows you the nuts and bolts of a full ketogenic diet and how you can fine tune it to your patient's needs.
In this module you will learn:
- About basic keto meal planning.
- How to track meals with free online tools- and how to hack them to make them keto-friendly.
- How fasting and calorie restriction can be beneficial and how to incorporate it into your protocols.
- What to do when there are side effects on the ketogenic diet and how to do trouble shooting.
By end of week 4 you should be able to:
- Plan and track meals.
- Implement a safe fasting strategy to enhance the effects of ketosis.
- Know when calorie restriction can be used and when you have to be careful.
- Recognise side effects caused by being in ketosis.
- Do basic trouble-shooting.
Module 5: Practical Matters
This module is full of tips and tricks on how to make the diet sustainable in the long term and how to modify it if necessary.
In this module you will learn:
- How to avoid problems with nutrient deficiencies by learning about particularly nutrient-dense, keto-friendly foods.
- What patients can eat when they're outside their home.
- How to prepare for travelling.
- How to incorporate the ketogenic diet into family life.
- How to eat keto on a budget.
- What to do on sick days.
By end of week 5 you should be able to:
- Incorporate nutrient-dense foods into a keto protocol.
- Know what to eat when travelling, eating out or in sickness.
- Making your patient's life easier by ensuring that only one meal has to be cooked with a family.
- Know what foods to emphasise and tricks to use if budget is restricted.
Module 6: Lifestyle Matters
No nutrition masterclass would be complete without talking about lifestyle and you all know that diet is just one piece of a big puzzle! The final module is about the most important lifestyle factors to consider with your cancer patients to further enhance their quality of life.
In this module you will learn:
- How your patient can eat in a more mindful way and combat cravings with tools that suit.
- About Emotional Freedom Technique and how to use it to deal with physical and emotional pain.
- How important sleep and light is for healing and steps to take to improve sleep.
- Where toxins are in the environment and how first measures can be taken to reduce toxic exposure.
- How exercise can help and what to do to get a tailored exercise regime that suits your patient's circumstances.
By end of week 6 you should be able to:
- Get a deep understanding of how important lifestyle measures are to your cancer patients.
- Design a lifestyle programme that suits your patient and that can be maintained without effort!
- Teach your patient how to take simple steps towards a cleaner, healthier lifestyle.
I haven't found anything comparable on the market. I've found that most of the material available is in book form and only provides a brief introduction to keto and then recipes or meal plans. What makes your program so useful is that it gets down to the nitty-gritty of how it all works and exactly what you need to do. The charts and downloads you provide have been invaluable. The video format helps me to understand and also makes it more engaging and interesting.Kristy, USA
What makes this program different is that [Patricia] lives keto every day and has for several years. She's not just re-writing something she heard somewhere else, and that's obvious when she teaches it. It's also more thorough than anything else I've found.
- Take advantage of my research and nutrition knowledge that I’ve acquired over the past six years of practicing, lecturing and studying. I've spent more than 2,500 USD on resources, attending conferences and doing courses abroad and online.
- Benefit from my vast experience of working with and motivating clients on a one-on-one basis.
- There is absolutely no comparable programme on the market and ketogenic knowledge is not currently taught in major colleges or universities.
- Figuring the diet out without professional help can be incredibly frustrating, time-consuming and overwhelming. I've been there!
- This programme has been tried, tested and fine tuned by a small group of a mix of practitioners and patients following and learning about the ketogenic diet.
- Get access to the full course including all bonus material for a whole year.
- Access to my eBooks with a total of 120+ recipes that are keto-friendly and allow you to fine tune your diet. No more worries whether you can trust a particular keto recipe you come across!
- Get peer support via a private facebook group exclusive to course participants where you can ask questions.
- Bonus sessions that include an ever-expanding library of resources covering current topics that are relevant for any cancer patient.
- Any new additions, expert videos and research I'm sharing will be made available as part of the course.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can anybody follow a ketogenic diet?
No. I would be lying if I said it was easy and didn’t require any particular commitment! Patients need to be willing and able to make change, otherwise they will not get the desired results. In my experience, cancer patients are a highly motivated patient group that are more than willing to make change.
Also, there are clear contraindications to a ketogenic diet and it is important that you read this blog post here before you consider starting the diet with a patient.
Is the ketogenic diet effective and safe?
While there are many case reports and pre-clinical studies confirming the effectiveness and safety of the ketogenic diet, we are still waiting for the results of clinical trials. We do have a strong safety record from the use of the ketogenic diet in epileptic patients, though. I don’t recommend doing the ketogenic diet as a stand-alone treatment (i.e. without doing conventional treatment) and recommend that cancer patients always consult their oncologist before embarking on a ketogenic diet.
Can you guarantee that my patients will be in nutritional ketosis after me guiding them through your programme?
No, there is no guarantee for anybody that they will be in nutritional ketosis after following the programme. Everybody responds differently- some people go into ketosis within a few days whereas for others it can take weeks or sometimes even months.
Your patients will be on a clear path to nutritional ketosis, though, and benefit from the knowledge they acquired while implementing the diet.
What happens if someone suffers from food allergies or intolerances?
There will be lots of recipes, guidelines and tips available that also cater for different allergies and intolerances. I have several tools that can help you detect intolerances.
Do I learn how to fine tune my patient's protocol?
You can fine tune your patient’s programme based on your blood tests and food preferences/sensitivities but also depending on where you live and the seasons.
You will learn how to calculate macronutrient ratios, tailor meal plans to your patient’s needs, incorporate other strategies to enhance ketosis like calorie restriction, fasting, lifestyle changes and others .
Can the ketogenic diet be followed on a restricted budget?
This is a very common problem. Many cancer patients have probably already spent lots of money on treatments, supplements or equipment. That’s why I’ve included a section on eating on a budget that provides lots of tips, tools and techniques to make the ketogenic diet affordable.
What about vegetarians or vegans?
I’ve guided cancer patients through a vegetarian or vegan ketogenic diet before, however it does require even more specialised guidance than ketogenic diet that includes animal products. It’s doable but not something I encourage. A vegan diet undoubtedly needs specific support with supplements.
What if my patient is still going through cancer treatments?
There’s an increasing amount of evidence showing how ketosis and fasting can enhance the effects of cancer treatment. While it can be challenging to stay in ketosis especially during chemotherapy, there are more and more tools available to practitioners to make this task as easy as possible for cancer patients. This is an area that is undergoing rapid change and I will do my best to keep up with current research and share this with practitioners.
Can I do this course if I'm not based in Europe?
Although I’m based in Europe (Ireland), many of the practitioners on my course (and indeed my clients) are based in the USA, Australia, South Africa or the Middle East. It doesn’t matter where you live, you’ll be able to study and connect from anywhere in the world and start implementing my blueprint.
WHY WORK WITH PATRICIA?
Patricia Daly is an experienced and internationally recognized Nutritional Therapist (BA Hons, dipNT, mBANT, rCNHC). Following her cancer diagnosis, she left her corporate career and started studying nutrition, specialising in the area of Integrative Cancer Care. As a Swiss native, she regularly attends training courses in Switzerland/Germany, including at the renowned Tumor Biology Center in Freiburg, Germany.
Her network with both complementary and orthodox health professionals allows her to stay up-to-date with current research and best practice. She is also a member of the British Society for Integrative Oncology.
Patricia has worked with hundreds of cancer patients across the world. She lectures at the Irish Institute of Nutrition and Health and regularly receives invitations to speak at international conferences, like for instance at the Metabolic Therapeutics Conference at USF in Tampa, Florida. She also writes articles for magazines and books.
In January 2014, her first eBook, "Practical Keto Meal Plans", was published. It has since been purchased by both cancer patients and healthcare professionals, including oncologists, from all over the world. And in spring 2016, she published a bestselling book "The Ketogenic Kitchen" on the benefits of the low carb and ketogenic diet for cancer patients, which she has co-written with Irish chef and entrepreneur Domini Kemp. The book was published in the USA by Chelsea Green in autumn 2016 and quickly became a bestseller on Amazon US.
Also in 2014, in response to growing demand, she decided to set up an online business to serve cancer patients, their carers and other healthcare professionals interested in the ketogenic approach.